Sunday, December 4, 2011

Reverb 11

A few days ago I read about Reverb 11 on A Beautiful Ripple Effect and since I've been stalled out on projects and blogging since starting my new job, however I do spend a lot of time reading blogs while I have downtime at work AND I have lots of time to think about posts as much of my days revolve around driving clients to and from places. Also I downloaded the blogger application on my phone so I can update it while waiting for clients and complete the drafts when I got home.

I also have been reflecting lately on the past year and future goals since turning the big 26 on 11/26. Reverb 11 felt like the perfect opportunity to get into better blogging habits as well as to reflect on last year and project for the next year.

So I'm starting, 4 days late, but I'm starting today. Here are the prompts I have to catch up on:

1. One Word 
Encapsulate the year 2011 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word. Now, imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2012 for you?
(Author: Gwen Bell)
Flux. 2011 saw me completing my Master's degree, moving into an off campus apartment with my boyfriend (which was also the first time in nearly 6 years that I've shared my living space with someone else), being unemployed, becoming employed full-time, and finally after a month of work settling into a "normal" routine. Every definition of the word flux  seems to fit one part of my life or another over the past year. "To flow," "Obsolete or purge," "Continuous change," "Passage." All of these resonate with me as stages of my life in 2011. 
In 2012 I'm hoping Stability and Security will be my two words. I have never felt more secure with myself and where I am heading in life than in 2011 and I know that, allow there is likely to be much, much more flux in my life in 2012, I will also continue to grow in my own stability and security. 
2. Writing
What piece of writing are you most proud of from 2011? How does this piece differ from your other pieces?
In 2011 I did a lot of writing, most of it school and internship related. Although I am pretty proud of my 50+ page treatment plans I worked on in my internship, I'm most proud that I'm finding my voice on my blog. I have enjoyed sharing with others the projects I have been working on in our home and I am pushing myself to explore my writing talents more as I am no longer writing academically and miss challenging my mind through writing. I even have a (somewhat secret) desire to write a novel...I could use encouragement to get started on that one! 
3. Year in Review
As you reflect back on the happenings of 2011, what were your high points and what were your low points? What do you notice as you look back on the year as a whole?
High points in 2011 are:
  • finishing my tenure as Hall Director of West Vandenberg Hall
  • completing my internship and then graduating with my Masters
  • landing my first post-school job
  • moving in with Vince and starting our lives in our home together
Low points of 2011 are:

  • Being unemployed for the majority of 6 months post-grad
  • Getting excited about job opportunities only to have them fall through
  • Other ugly points that I'd rather not recall at the moment, luckily there are only really a couple of these
Overall I am pleased with how 2011 went. Even in the toughest times when my bank account teetered closer to the $0.00 mark than I'd ever like to admit to another adult I still was able to see the lessons that life was teaching me. I have reconsidered so many of my habits and life choices regarding money and have a much healthier view towards my finances and my relationship has grown tremendously as we have learned to talk about financial decisions that can be difficult in any relationship, let alone when one person is the sole provider. Although I need to continue to grow here, I am no looking to make smart, long-term decisions with finances rather than quick-fix solutions. 

4. Beauty
How have your standards of beauty shifted in the past year?
I would love to say I'm at the top of my game in regards to health and beauty, however, the last year has not been kind to my previous year's diligence to my figure. I have felt as though I am more comfortable in my skin as it is currently and know that I am beautiful right now, I just need to move towards healthy behaviors in order to improve my body's functions rather than to improve my looks. 
I have also considered beauty in my home environment in all new ways. Rather than loving everything that Ikea makes I am coming more into my own in decorating styles and am enjoying figuring out how to incorporate more of my eclectic tastes into something of beauty. I have enjoyed creating beautiful things to display in our home and look forward to growing more in my skills with DIY projects over the next year.
There is a 5th prompt out there, however, I'm off to bed so I will add that one tomorrow and be back on track!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment