Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Reverb 11: Catching up #14-17

14. Marvel
What have you done well over the past year—the little stuff and the big stuff? How do you celebrate the positives?
As I have said in my earlier Reverb posts 2011 was a year of honing in on my skills and talents and growing. I feel as though I am an "adult" now, though I have been for some time, but I think something about being done with school (at least for now, Doctoral plans in the future most likely) and having a full-time job, an apartment off campus, bills, a new car; these things make me feel like a real-life grown up. 
I have been challenged this year in my own thinking and reigning in my own desires when these things just can't be right now. This is something I'm not used to; something I still struggle with. I had become accustomed to working hard and reaping the benefits, but I've learned (in the hardest and ugliest ways) that some things are just truly out of my control. There is a beauty in waiting. This growing is what I have done well, because through the growth I am happy and happiness is what we strive for. 
As far as celebrating the big positives: graduating, signing a lease on an apartment, buying a car, etc. We tried to celebrate as things came a long with special dinners and outings, but mostly just appreciating that these things were possible this year.
15. Fear
The easiest way to overcome fear is to confront it. Rather than brainstorming reasons to avoid your “fear,” shift your attention to the reasons for confronting your fear. What fear would you like to overcome in 2012?
One of my largest fears is the unknown. Uncertainty rattles me to my bones. I even get nervous about opening gifts from others as the lack of knowing if I will like it makes me worry that I will disappoint them in my reaction. Silly? True. I can go with the flow like the best of them but there are just some things that not having all the information on get under my skin and make a home in my brain until I either figure them out or over think it to the point that I drive myself (and all of my friends no doubt) nuts. 
I have tried to use progressive muscle relaxation when I'm feeling tense about things. I also try to busy myself with other things to do. I think I need to channel my relaxed outlook from most aspects of my life and realize that the unknown can be a positive thing. Maybe I'll get there in 2012. Maybe. 
16. Transitions
Over the past year have you experienced any major/minor life transitions? How has your life changed?
Student to Graduate
Dating to live-together-partner
Employed to Unemployed then to Employed again
Non-active blogger to Semi-Regular blogger
I'm sure there are more but these stand out the most.
17. Bliss
What are three things that make you feel the most blissed out? What can you do in 2012 to invite more of that into your life?
Coffee Dates with friends. Time at home with Vince, growing in our relationship. Writing, whether on this blog orrrrr maybe just maybe I will start on this book idea I have in my head. Yup, I'm putting it out there. I want to write a book. Surprised Mom? I always said I wanted to be an author, hasn't gone away I guess :)

No comments:

Post a Comment