Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Me (in 250 words or less)

My story. My autobiography.  Growing up in small town Iowa I wanted to be a writer. I went to two young writers conferences, afterwards I was told authors make no money. Later on I wanted to teach. Then be a social worker. All of these are professions that were visible to me through the lens of a small town worldview and also one where money wasn't my primary goal. I moved from that small town to a larger one for college. I studied psychology, pre-law, teaching, and back to psychology.  (The pre-law sounded good and would've lined my pockets more but man were those classes boring!) I moved even further away, to a suburb of a big, broken city. I got a masters degree and got married. Now more than ever I want to reach into my heart for my work, even if that means pinching pennies to make the finanacial goals that we have planned. We. This is new, a fresh young marriage, full of incredible happiness as well as some tension as we learn what it means to build our forever together. Life: by trial & error. That is what I am doing. What we, together, are doing. What other way is there to do this? And so I write these words, here in this place where I make no money for it, and no matter how long it had been between posts, it is always rewarding. 

238 WORDS.

This month I am participating in Every Day in May, a blogging challenge posed by Jenni at Story of My Life.

2 comments:

  1. Fell upon your blog with the link up, and I had to comment because I am also from Iowa, but I am still here!! haha Probably always will be. What town are you from? We are in good ole Waterloo, right in the ghetto unfortunately! I just got my Masters as well but in Social Work, though I considered counseling ;) Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angie! Thanks for stopping by! I grew up in Oskaloosa and went to college in Davemport (St. Ambrose) and am now living north of Detroit. Congrats on the MSW as well and good luck with the blog challenge!

    ReplyDelete