Friday, May 3, 2013

5.3 uncomfortable

Today we are talking about things that make you uncomfortable. My most obvious of those are masks. Though I feel I have gotten better about it, I hate mascots. There is something so creepy about not knowing who is inside that costume and not being able to see their eyes.

Once at an Oakland U basketball game the Grizz came strolling our way while a friend and I were sitting in the bleachers. Now most people get excited about having a photo taken with these emblems of team spirit. And this particular Grizz wearer knew me and thought he was being friendly and coming to give me such an opportunity. But he didn't know about my phobia. I couldn't escape quickly enough and as he moved closer I hunched down and eventually fell off my bleacher seat. I guess that made him figure it out because he broke the code and revealed who he was to calm me down.
Another time my staff had gotten permission to borrow the costums for a program and I needed to one of my RA's a question. Now, she knew about my issue, but she didn't expect me to be knocking on her door. She opened the door dressed only in the bobble head and I took off running and screamed. Not the reaction she was going for but we were able to laugh about it afterwards.

I could keep going with times I felt so uncomfortable I had to bolt, my grad school alma mater loves mascots much more than my undergrad as I only encountered our pastor dressed as santa claus there in four years and saw the Grizz almost weekly at OU. But I will leave you with life's great irony.

My husband, bless him, is a nerd. He loves comic books, goes weekly to the comic book store to pick up the latest installment. He also loves Comic-Con. And he loves to build costumes. Including masks. Now of course I'm not freaked out by his costume. But you can bet that I will not be joining him at the convention,  even though he begs every time!

This month I will be participating in the Every Day in May blogging challenge hosted by Jenni @ Story of My Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment