Friday, October 7, 2011

Frame and Mirror Revamp for Entry Way

My love of Pinterest and home improvement blogs finally resulted in a pretty fabulous project for the apartment. I'm in love with my beauties and luckily V likes them too! I thought I'd share my DIY process with you as well so here goes! 



Here they are before being restored to all their glory! The white framed mirror we bought for $4 at a garage sale and the oval frame we bought for $3 at Salvation Army.



The frame originally contained this beauty and the most jagged-edged glass covering I've ever seen. The glass was later broken in half on accident--good thing I already had other plans in mind!







So the first thing I did was pull out the primer and gave both frames a good covering. The oval frame obviously needed more attention due to it's dark color. Next I pulled out the BRIGHT yellow spray paint and coated them each 3 times to fully cover. 







My thoughts? "CRAP! I've ruined them, this is WAY to bright for my entry way!" But at the same time I absolutely loved the color as it's my fave! So I moved forward and did this:



I wanted the oval frame to be a cork board, so I transformed two square shaped tiles of cork into this lovely round shape. In all actuality V did most of the work of this step of cutting, he's much handier with the XACTO knife! Next I hot glued them in place to the backing aka the original artwork from the frame!



Next I covered it with charcoal gray remnant fabric I got a JoAnn's for a whopping two bucks and hot glued that in place as well. I *should* have ironed it better before doing this process but I was anxious and my counseling background says move forward not dwell in the past so moving on!


Popped the covered cork board into the frame and I was in love with the results can't you tell? (I look a bit crazed...woops!) Well the mirror was done and another trip to Salvation Army resulted in a smaller oval mirror that was another $3 that I didn't take pictures of the painting process but this is the result!



Tada! I love it! These are in my entry way  so it works well to provide a place for event reminders and other odds and ends. The mirrors also add to the depth of the room since it's a rather small space and right off of our living room. 

So what do you think? Either way I love them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment