Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Don't Forget About Breast Cancer Awareness

We are halfway through October which boggles my brain to no end. But what boggles my mind even more is that this year's Breast Cancer Awareness celebration seems to have come and gone already. A trip to the grocery store at the beginning of the month was an overwhelming reminder with pink flowers and packaging around every corner. 

Then the move Five came out to a small fanfare. If you haven't seen it yet, check it out, it is directed by several of Hollywood's famous women and is a very good portrayal of the effects of breast cancer on women and their families. 

Then Giuliana Rancic was extremely brave and announced her diagnosis live on the Today Show

Maybe it's because I've been a little secluded as of late but I just haven't seen as much about it this year. I find this disappointing because this disease touches so many of us and early detection is so important to recovery. 

My most vivid memory of breast cancer stems from when I was much younger, a teenager, living at home and learning that my mom's best friend, Julie, had been diagnosed. She seemed so young, so vibrant, and I wondered how it was possible for her to be sick. I will never forget the image of her smiling through what must have been the very difficult task of shaving her hair after her treatments left it falling out on its own. We all gathered on our back patio and her husband and my mom did the honors. And through it all she smiled. She fought and was triumphant and when on to grow her family with 3 more beautiful children in addition to the two she already had.

In honor of Julie, or those friends and family members of yours that have been touched by breast cancer, do a self-exam, get a mammogram, take care of yourself and remind those women around you to do so as well. Not just in October, but all year long.

No comments:

Post a Comment