Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Truth Be Told

I'm a skeptic. A huge one. I have the hardest time believing what I can't see. And I don't buy into others' words at face value. I'm not sure when I started to see the agenda behind the "truths" I am told and when I lost my blind faith, or if I ever had it to begin with.
I guess this isn't just a religious thing but reading this blogpost (can't wait to read more of her stuff btw), lead me to this article today of a neurosurgeon who saw the afterlife just put me on edge this morning. It all sounds beautiful, spectacular even. I would want to go there when I die, no doubt about it. But, dang. It sure does sound like a crock to me.
And that bothers me a bit. Why do I get to decide that his beautiful description of a place where you can do no wrong and live where you cam taste beauty is a collection of really incredible fiction?
And why do I get rubbed the wrong way by religion when I grew up with faith, and even went to a Catholic college. Why does the certainty of others in their beliefs make me so uncomfortable.
I believe in doing good and being the best person I can be. I believe in being a good human not just for the pleasure of being good (though I have a serious problem with disappointing authority, Catholic guilt?) but because we are linked to one another and maybe theirs some truth to karma. I believe there is something bigger out there. I'm just not sure it looks like the carbon copy thing that these big box religions are selling.
I didn't intend to share these thoughts in this space. But it is real. It's what's heavy on ky chest not just this morning but for months. I've been searching, studying, seeking. Which means I'm growing and I appreciate that, I do. I would love to have some answers though. Guess that's why I call this trail and error, huh?

What do you think about he big questions? Do you believe in heaven or an afterlife? Do you remember learning about heaven as a kid?

1 comment: