Friday, July 20, 2012

Traditions

As I have been on this wedding planning journey there have been many traditions that I have turned my nose up to and thus have decided not to incorporate into our wedding day. People may or may not agree with me on this but here's a prime example of why I am choosing not to blindly follow tradition.

The Garter Toss

I personally find it a bit creepy that the groom gets to out his (oftentimes) head up the brides skirt in public. Not for me, I would be a blushing bride, no doubt about it.

My parents may have done a garter toss, I'm not really sure. But my mom did get her garter back if she did have it taken and thrown to a male guest of theirs. And that's where you find out about a family tradition.

It may have just started with my mom and grandma, I'd have to ask of goes back further. In any case, ky mom wore her mothers garter as well as a new one of her own.

And now on November 10, 2012, I will wear both my mom's garter and my own that my sister is personally making for me.

And that's a tradition I can keep going with my hopefully future daughters that undoubtedly will find my dress out of style or that it doesn't fit them. But a garter is hidden and personal and a little bit of HERstory that can be shared through the generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment