Monday, April 1, 2013

From My Kitchen: Spaghetti Squash "Lasagna" Bake

Over the weekend my husband graciously baked up our first ever spaghetti squash. Holy smokes is it delicious! (In case you don't know how to bake a spaghetti squash, check out this link here!)  The first day we ate just one half of the fake spaghetti with some good old 4 cheese red sauce. We then wrapped up the other half for later.

This morning as I was cleaning our shower I was thinking about ricotta cheese. I had some left from the best frosting I've ever made (will post that recipe soon too!) and although I could just eat it from the container I figured I should probably go the grown-up route and make something presentable for lunch. That's when I remembered the squash. And lasagna. And spinach. And I just started measuring everything out and making a mini squash lasagna! And it was sooo good, and filling. And may just make it again tomorrow!

Spaghetti Squash "Lasagna" Bake

1 1/2-2 cups leftover spaghetti squash
1/2 cup spaghetti sauce of your choice
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1 cup baby spinach
2 teaspoons EVOO
1/4 cup lowfat ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350º. Shred spaghetti squash to make your fake noodles, foodles if you will. In a small frying pan add oil and sauté onions. Once they start browning add spinach and cook it down. You can add some spices if you like (salt and pepper and anything that smells good) while they are cooking.

In a large ramekin add a layer of spaghetti squash followed by half the sauce then your spinach and onions. Add another layer of squash then your ricotta cheese. Add the rest of your sauce and sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top.

Bake for 15 minutes or until sauce is bubbling. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 mintes or so.

This recipe is only 6 points for all of its cheesy, saucey goodness! And now I'm in love with spaghetti squash...in the wrong season. 

If you make it and tweak the recipe let me know, I would love to make another yummy spaghetti squash recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment